Re: Question about lintian bad-whatis-entry warning

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 12:56 PM Aaron Boxer <boxerab@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 11:42 AM The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
On 2020-12-23 at 11:25, Aaron Boxer wrote:

> Hi,
> I have some questions about a lintian warning I am getting from my package.
> It complains that the NAME section of the man page can't be parsed.
> Here is how the section appears in my man page:
>
> NAME
>        grk_compress — compresses images to JPEG 2000 format
>
> Note: I generate the man page from markdown files via pandoc.
>
> How can I get more insight into the problem?

I have no particular relevant expertise, but one thing I notice
instantly is that that doesn't quite look like a standard hyphen.

Indeed, copying it into a text file and examining it with a hex viewer
shows that — is apparently 0x8094, whereas - is 0x2d.

It might be worth checking whether that one character is the cause of this.

Unfortunately, switching to en dash does not fix the problem

Thanks! Yes, this is an em dash

troff symbol is

\[em]

--
   The Wanderer

progress depends on the unreasonable man.         -- George Bernard Shaw