Re: Question about lintian bad-whatis-entry warning

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 11:42 AM The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
On 2020-12-23 at 11:25, Aaron Boxer wrote:

> Hi,
> I have some questions about a lintian warning I am getting from my package.
> It complains that the NAME section of the man page can't be parsed.
> Here is how the section appears in my man page:
>
> NAME
>        grk_compress — compresses images to JPEG 2000 format
>
> Note: I generate the man page from markdown files via pandoc.
>
> How can I get more insight into the problem?

I have no particular relevant expertise, but one thing I notice
instantly is that that doesn't quite look like a standard hyphen.

Indeed, copying it into a text file and examining it with a hex viewer
shows that — is apparently 0x8094, whereas - is 0x2d.

It might be worth checking whether that one character is the cause of this.

Thanks! Yes, this is an em dash

https://www.thesaurus.com/e/grammar/em-dash/

troff symbol is

\[em]

--
   The Wanderer

progress depends on the unreasonable man.         -- George Bernard Shaw