Re: Adding a user in postinstall

Hi Hilmar,

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 01:34:44PM +0200, Hilmar Preuße wrote:
> Am 17.06.2020 um 11:55 teilte Markus mit:
> > This is about  git@salsa.debian.org:debian-astro-team/gavodachs.git,
> > the gavo branch.
> >

> >  	# create user "dachsroot" if (s)he is not already there
> >   if ! getent passwd dachsroot ; then
> >     adduser --disabled-password --gecos "" --ingroup gavo dachsroot
> >   fi
> >
> > This has never resulted in headache over all the years that we have
> > been distributing the resulting package outside of Debian.  But the
> > CI on salsa gives:
> >
> >   Adding user `dachsroot' ...
> >   Adding new user `dachsroot' (1011) with group `gavo' ...
> >   Creating home directory `/home/dachsroot' ...
> >   Stopped: Couldn't create home directory `/home/dachsroot': File exists.
> >
> >   Removing directory `/home/dachsroot' ...
> >   Removing user `dachsroot' ...
> >
> Do you really need a created home dir for that user or would be
>
> adduser ... --no-create-home
>
> an option?

>From the reactions I take it that at least I've not missed anything
in the Policy that wouldn't let me adduser with home.  Phew.

And... well, it would be nice if this account had a home, because
people are intended to work as it, and so it'd be good if trying to
read or write, say, ~/.vimrc wouldn't do odd things.  Well -- I'll
fiddle a bit to see if I can understand what the CI is bothered by.

Thanks,

         Markus