thank you all for sharing your feedback.
I updated my packaging files and fixed most of the issues (also received some help from the debian-octave list). The updated package can be found at
A quick summary:
1. I renamed the library back to libzmat1 as many of you
suggested it is the right naming format
2. I modified the orig package via a
setup script to
- 1) remove the bundled lz4 files, and link the binary with
system's liblz4 library, and
- 2) add the missing octave DESCRIPTION/INDEX files,
3. bumped my debhelper compat level to 12
I hope these are acceptable solutions. the only error left is the
"UNRELEASED" in the changelog.
should I set it to "unstable"? will the package be backported
automatically in the future to stable?