Git bare debian repository format and python packages

Hi *,

I am a fan of the git bare debian repository format. I am using gbp to
build my packages:
gbp buildpackage --git-builder=sbuild -A -v -d unstable
--source-only-changes

Usually that works without problems, but with python packages, when
dh_auto_clean is run *before* the sources are extracted that leads to
the build process being stopped :(
dh_auto_clean runs pybuild --clean (in my case its set to use distutils
as buildsystem) which does not find a `setup.py` which leads to an error
which stops the whole build process.
Is there a recommended way of handling this situation?

(I seem to remember that a solution for this problem was mentioned once
in the git repository layout discussions, but I fail to find the email...)

thanks,
Birger