Re: Help to enable test suite precondition for covid-19 relevant R package

Hi,

thanks a lot for these helpful hints.

On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 08:51:57PM +0100, jnqnfe@gmail.com wrote:

> without looking at any of the packages, at all, you say you're
> unfamiliar with Rust, so perhaps the following hints will be helpful:
>  1. you can use the Rustc compiler (rustc) directly unless you actually
> need to make use of a Cargo project file (Cargo.toml).

I was simply following what upstream code was specifying as requriement
(which probably makes perfectly sense when not using a Debian chroot
that has no remote access).

>  2. `cargo` has an `--offline` option to run without network access.
> Cargo is built around the concept of "crates" (libraries) being
> available on crates.io, which projects can depend upon by specifying
> dependencies in Cargo.toml (though it is also possible to have
> dependencies hosted elsewhere), and which cargo can automatically
> download, compile and link when building your project. Cargo can thus
> have a need to retrieve an updated index of available crates (just like
> apt update), requiring internet access, as well as needing internet
> access to fetch depended upon crates that you have not already got
> cached. You can however as I just mentioned run it in offline mode
> whereby it tries to proceed with cached dependencies only.

I'll keep a record of these helpful hints in Git of that package.  It
turned out that I can use r-cran-av as an alternative which for the
intended purpose works out of the box.  So I'll delay this for the
future if there might be some need, thought.

Thanks again

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de