Help to enable test suite precondition for covid-19 relevant R package

Hi,

the cran package r-cran-gganimate requires r-cran-gifski to run its test
suite.  I've prepared the latter in Git[1].  To build the package a rust
compiler is needed which I provided via Build-Depends: cargo.  Unfortunately
there will be some Rust modules needed which the build process tries to
download:

gcc -std=gnu99 -I"/usr/share/R/include" -DNDEBUG    -pthread -fvisibility=hidden -fpic  -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/r-base-j1tBvV/r-base-3.6.3=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -W
/usr/bin/cargo build --release --manifest-path=myrustlib/Cargo.toml
    Updating crates.io index
warning: spurious network error (2 tries remaining): failed to resolve address for github.com: Temporary failure in name resolution; class=Net (12)
warning: spurious network error (1 tries remaining): failed to resolve address for github.com: Temporary failure in name resolution; class=Net (12)
error: failed to fetch `https://github.com/rust-lang/crates.io-index`

Caused by:
  failed to resolve address for github.com: Temporary failure in name resolution; class=Net (12)
make[1]: *** [Makevars:12: myrustlib/target/release/libmyrustlib.a] Error 101

Since I have no idea about rust:  How can I find out what extra module
is needed and do we possibly have a package of it I could use as
Build-Depends?

Kind regards

      Andreas.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/r-pkg-team/r-cran-gifski