Re: package one package from a git repo with multiple packages

Hi Rosea,

On 09/03/2020 16:37, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 03:20:26PM +0100, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>>> You just need to create a source tarball that is able to build the project
>>> you need. For that you'll need to find out which common files are also
>>> needed.
>>> You'll need to do it manually each time you need to upload a new version,
>>> so I guess you'll want to create a script that helps with that.
>>> There are no specific recommendations because this is almost never needed.
>>
>> First, thanks for your help!
>>
>> Wouldn't this be done most easily with git?
>>
>> - Git cloning the whole repository
>>
>> - Git remove the parts which are not needed
>>
>> - Do a git tag in that reworked repo, to make tarball?
>>
>> - Package from there
>>
>> ?
> If after that you are going to merge the upstream repo master you'll get
> conflicts for all changed stuff that you deleted. But whatever works for
> you.

If you just want to package non-session-manager, why not:
1. Download the tarball from here:
https://git.tuxfamily.org/non/non.git/tag/?id=non-session-manager-v1.2.0
(or the github mirror - whichever is best)
2. Extract the tarball.
3. Begin packaging in the extracted directory
4. Create a git repo & push the files into a Salsa git repo once you are
happy you have something mostly working.

It only makes sense to package from a clone of the upstream repository
if you are (eventually) going to create binary packages for all the
non-* applications in the one source package.

You can always package the other applications separately by downloading
their tarballs when you have the urge. Then each source package can use
the debian/watch file to watch for new tarballs in the same upstream git
repository.

But if you prefer the git approach, then there are several ways you can
package from the upstream git repository (including without a tarball).
Some methods are listed in the git-buildpackage manual:
https://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html/gbp.import.upstream-git.html

Keep going!

--
Regards,

Ross Gammon
FBEE 0190 904F 1EA0 BA6A  300E 53FE 7BBD A689 10FC