Re: building both monolithic command line program and shared library from single source package, ddcutil

On 1/28/20 8:00 PM, Paul Wise wrote:
On Tue, 2020-01-28 at 16:00 -0500, Sanford Rockowitz wrote:

GProbe is the proprietary Genesis protocol.
Is there a list of proprietary extensions to DDC somewhere?
I doubt it.  Since you raised the possibility of manufacturer specific VCP feature codes as a vulnerability I researched MonitorDarkly sufficiently to determine that ddcutil could not be a vector for the exploit.

I wonder how useful implementations of these would be.

For GProbe support for it could be used to start an open source monitor
firmware project or to tell the monitor to stop supporting GProbe ;)

It's the use of operation code xC2, not normal reference to
manufacturer specific features with spec-defined operation codes, that's
the "trap door".
Right, the surprising thing to me was that such manufacturer specific
features could be extensive enough to include sub-protocols of DDC and
even worse, that those sub-protocols would have such terrible design as
to explicitly allow arbitrary code execution on the processor(s) of the
display, possibly with the ability to save code to the monitor storage
so that you cannot even trust your monitor. OTOH it possibly enables
open source firmware, so it is a mixed bag I guess.