Gbp buildpackage + sbuild = patches unapplied in build directory during build?

Dear Debian Mentors,

I would like to fix bug #941273 and #941322.

I can reproduce #941273 building with gbp buildpackage+ sbuild [1] but not
with gbp buildpackage + dpkg-buildpackage.
I'm building in a separated build directory; so from the log it looks that it
first apply all debian patches, then unapply all; then does setup stuff in the chroot,
reapply all patches and then actually build the source.
The build get stuck during the test (there is an endless loop) so while the test was running I looked at the build directory and patches were unapplied.

So where are applied all the patches? I've also looked inside the chroot to see if some magic happens there (I'm sure it does), but haven't find anything useful.
How can I make sure that all files that are created by patches (the relevant is 0020-Add-regression-test-for-forced-rescan-feature) are in the build directory during the test?

Thanks,
Lorenzo

[1] steps to reproduce:

$ mkdir -p ~/test/build && cd ~/test
$ git clone https://salsa.debian.org/debian/runit.git
$ cd runit
$ quilt delete 0024-Temporary-disable-forced-rescan-test.patch
$ git add -A && git commit
$ gbp buildpackage --git-export-dir=~/test/build/ --git-builder=sbuild -A -v -d unstable