Re: gbp import-orig after upstream force update

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 7:38 PM Mattia Rizzolo - mattia@debian.org wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 06:28:55PM -0500, Tong Sun wrote:
> > How to do gbp import-orig after upstream did *force* push/update with
> > the same tag?
> >
> > While doing packaging, there will always some trivial things I found I
> > need to update the upstream source (I'm the author for both upstream
> > and Debian packaging).
> >
> > However, if I have to give a new tag each time I do such trivial
> > updates, then they'll go very fast for very trivial changes, which
> > does not look good. So I always force push/update with the same tag.
>
> At the same time, it looks *horribly* from my side every time I see such
> things.
>
> Don't tag things until you really want to release, and by then you ought
> to have tested things well enough.  If it's really trivial changes, then
> it can just wait for whenever you feel like doing a new release.

Totally, I would avoid such problems as much as possible. However the
situation is,

- From the source side, everything is ready. It is only when it comes
to Debian building, I found that I need do trivial updates to the
upstream.
- The problem is that, `gbp import-orig` is looking for upstream
tarball, which is only available when I do tagging, and this is
exactly why I'm asking the question.

I know I can go entirely manual, to do everything on my own without
using tools like `gbp import-orig`, but that's the route I want to
avoid. That being said,

Thanks to your help anyway.