Re: gbp import-orig after upstream force update

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 06:28:55PM -0500, Tong Sun wrote:
> How to do gbp import-orig after upstream did *force* push/update with
> the same tag?
>
> While doing packaging, there will always some trivial things I found I
> need to update the upstream source (I'm the author for both upstream
> and Debian packaging).
>
> However, if I have to give a new tag each time I do such trivial
> updates, then they'll go very fast for very trivial changes, which
> does not look good. So I always force push/update with the same tag.

At the same time, it looks *horribly* from my side every time I see such
things.

Don't tag things until you really want to release, and by then you ought
to have tested things well enough.  If it's really trivial changes, then
it can just wait for whenever you feel like doing a new release.

> The problem is that I haven't been able to figure out how to have `gbp
> import-orig` to deal with such situation -- I always get:
>
> gbp:error: Upstream tag 'upstream/...' already exists
>
> How to fix it? Thx

Get a new upstream version.  If from the upstream side really want to do
such horrible things, then fake the version in debian by appending some
+a1 version (or whatever string you prefer).

Versions are meant to uniquely identify a thing.  If the same version
string matches different objects at different point in times, it's just
conceptually wrong.

Anyway, if it's really just that, gbp only checks for the presence of
the upstream/ git tag; if you remove it (`git tag -d`) then it won't
complain anymore.
--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo