Re: dh_installman mv errors

On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 at 19:40, Matthew Fernandez <matthew.fernandez@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello mentors,

Thanks to the hard work of Debian volunteers, I recently had a package sponsored and uploaded [0]. Not being confident in my ability to remember the packaging steps, I scripted my understanding of best practice for next time [1]. I later successfully ran this to generate a source-only upload of an updated version [2], but misunderstood the process and never asked for sponsorship of this tarball. Subsequently a bug related to Python 2 removal was filed against Rumur [3], so I figured I may as well skip the revision I’d uploaded and package the latest release (v2019.10.27) with the Python 2 removal included. However, now my script is failing me at a dh_installman step:

    …
       dh_installman
    dh_installman: mv debian/rumur/usr/share/man/man1/rumur-ast-dump.1.dh-new debian/rumur/usr/share/man/man1/rumur-ast-dump.1: No such file or directory
    dh_installman: Aborting due to earlier error
    …
    dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -ui -i -I failed
    gbp-error: ‘debuild -i -I’ failed: it exited with 29

The error is technically correct in that the source path does not exist, but I don’t understand why dh_installman is expecting this path to exist. I’m not sure why this script worked for me last time and does not work now, and I’m guessing maybe a dh tools version difference (I almost certainly apt-get upgraded them in between). Does anyone have advice on what is going wrong here and how to fix it? If my script is taking an incorrect approach and there’s a better way of doing this, I would be open to such feedback as well.

Thanks,
Matthew

  [0]: https://packages.debian.org/sid/rumur
  [1]: https://github.com/Smattr/rumur/blob/master/misc/package-for-debian.sh
  [2]: https://mentors.debian.net/package/rumur
  [3]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=943253

As it turns out, there was mail from Colin Watson sitting in my spam folder that explained the situation as a dh_installman bug [4]. Colin, you describe this as a man-recode problem but your description actually makes it sound like a bug in my packaging. I should remove debian/rumur.manpages, right? Why do you describe this as a regression?

  [4]: