Re: uscan of the tango package, mk-origtargz

Felix Natter <fnatter@gmx.net> writes:

> hi PICCA,
>
> PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel <frederic-emmanuel.picca@synchrotron-soleil.fr>
> writes:
>>> Please confirm that
>>> "lib/java/R.*jar") < tango-9.3.3-rc2.tar > tango.tar
>>> is inspired by `mk-origtargz`.
>>
>> not at all, I found this in #869087, which is a tar bug with --delete.
>>
>> It is not clear to me what is the cmd executed by mk-origtargz.
>> It would be nice to have a debug mode for this.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Fred
>>
>>> Karma bonus points for providing context.
>>
>> I just try to make gbp import-orig --uscan works with my package.
>
> Although out-of-place tar deletion undoubtedly is more robust than
> in-place deletion, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bug, too.
> (which is really bad for Debian infrastructure, so we should
> identify/fix this).
>
> Can you reproduce the problem with:
> $ cat tango-9.3.3-rc2.tar | tar --delete <filespec-to-delete> > \
>   tango-9.3.3-rc2-excluded.tar
> ?

Ok, I see this is already confirmed for another package in #869087.

The question is: what to do, since the other tar option now seems broken
as well (and upstream did not want to fix in-place deletion bugs, so
they probably don't want to fix out-of-place bugs either). Maybe use
perl's Archive::Tar?

Cheers and Best Regards,
--
Felix Natter