Re: How specific must Copyright be?

On 2019-06-12 09:08:25 +0200 (+0200), Birger Schacht wrote:
> I ITP (#929666) a software that lacks a copyright statement. I
> asked upstream to clarify the copyright in the LICENSE file and
> upstream now plans to use
>
> > Copyright 2018-2019 github.com/containers authors
>
> as a copyright statement. This seems a bit vague to me, in my
> experience the copyright statement usually refers to persons or
> legal entities. Would a copyright statement like the one above be
> acceptable in a d/copyright file? Is it even legally valid?

This is common in situations where the project also provides a
separate authors file, or generates one for its release distribution
(when building source tarballs, et cetera). Something like this
might be more clear:

    Copyright 2018-2019 github.com/containers authors listed in the
    Git history or AUTHORS file.

(and if you're packaging it, make sure to generate/include that
AUTHORS file)
--
Jeremy Stanley