Re: Understanding Git workflow around DEP-14

Hi Geert!

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 2:12 PM Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 01:50:49PM -0500, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:

> > 2. What should the "master" branch be used for?

Consider the string "master" a label for _your leading branch_

> I don't use the master branch with DEP-14. I believe the DEP is stating
> that you'd use "master" for native packages - which from the sounds of it,
> yours is not. Therefore, I'd not use "master".

But you have your own leading branch

When I am packaging someone else's software (upstream/latest) for inclusion in Debian (debian/master), I don't feel like I have "my own" leading branch.

What am I missing for using (or not using) a "master" branch?

> > 3. When a new upstream tarball is released, where should it be imported?
> >

> Assuming you have a remote named "github", I suppose you'd do something
> like:
>
> git pull github upstream/latest

I think it should be     (be warned  _not tested_ )   avoid that your current branch gets pollueted.

What makes you believe that the current branch would get polluted?

I believe a:

git pull repo refspec

is equivalent to:

git checkout refspec