Re: Salsa repository request

On Monday, June 18 2018, Fabian Wolff wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 07:02:15PM -0400, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
>> I see a few problems here; some I need you to address before moving
>> forward, and others can be tackled later.  Let me make a list:
>>
>> 1) You're basically removing functionalities from the upstream project,
>> so I think you should detail what's being removed (and why) on
>> d/README.Debian.
>>
>> 2) I also think it's a good idea to proper license your code, because it
>> will be redistributed along with the project.  I'd suggest choosing the
>> same license as the project.
>>
>> These two problems are easy enough to fix, and I think that uploading a
>> package without having them addressed first is not going to work.
>
> I have added a README.Debian as well as copyright and license notices
> in antlr3convertutf.*.

Thanks.

>> Other things worth doing:
>>
>> 3) IANAL, but this issue seems serious enough to justify contacting
>> upstream and reporting the problem to them.
>
>   https://github.com/antlr/antlr3/issues/193
>
> I don't have much hope though; the most recent activity in the
> runtime/C/ folder of the repository seems to date back to more than
> four years ago.

Oh, well...  At least you've done your part.

>> 4) I see that src/antlr3string.c is the only user of the
>> ConvertUTF16toUTF8 function.  What do you think of declaring the
>> function inside the file?  This way we'd get rid of the problematic
>> files, which is a good thing, since we'll not export their API anymore.
>
> In principle, I agree. In fact, the declaration of ConvertUTF16toUTF8
> is already in antlr3string.c (and not in the header file). However,
> moving the *definition* of the function into antlr3string.c (which is
> probably what you meant) is not possible because it is a C++ function,
> and antlr3string.c is written in C.

Yeah, that'd complicate things indeed.

> Also, the remaining content of the header file (the typedefs and
> preprocessor definitions) are used in other parts of the code, too (in
> antlr3inputstream.c, for instance).

Right.

Going forward, maybe you could make sure that the
./usr/include/antlr3convertutf.h file is not installed as part of the
-dev package, since we don't want to export the API at all.

>> > Sergio, would you be willing to sponsor this upload? I would also be
>> > glad if you could assist me with the rest of the transition process.
>>
>> Yeah, I'd be happy too.  It will be my first time monitoring a
>> transition :-).  Just let me know when you have addressed the two issues
>> I mentioned above, and I'll upload the package right away.
>
> I have pushed my changes to the Salsa repository (on the
> debian-experimental branch), and I've also reuploaded the package to
> Mentors.

Thanks, I've uploaded the package now.

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36