Re: Building a prospective 32 bit package on 64 bits.

Please don't start a new thread by replying to some existing email.

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 05:05:02PM +0200, Albert van der Horst wrote:
> A package for a Debian system must be buildable on the Debian it is intended
> for.
It depends.

> So a new candidate DEC alpha  packets must properly build on Buster DEC
Actually, we don't usually build on testing systems, only on sid.

> alpha , or on a fake-root system.
Note that fakeroot(1) is something different from what you wanted to say
here. You probably wanted to say "emulator".

> Running a AMD architecture Debian I run programs built for i386 without
> giving it much thought.
>
> Is it sufficient if an i386 package builds and tests properly on an AMD
> buster, or is it mandatory to
> install a i386 buster for testing?
Most our packages work on all architectures. That's the nature of
well-written and supported open source software. Even when making a
package for the official Debian distribution you are not required to test
it on all architectures. But note that when testing *building* you
shouldn't do that on the host system in any case. And, again, you need to
test that the package builds and works on sid, not on testing.

> An i386 package will run without problems on an AMD. Now if this has been
> confirmed, can AMD
> be added to the architecture: line in the file ``control'' ?
You shouldn't restrict architecture lists unless you have reasons for
that. Not having a package tested there is not a good reason.

--
WBR, wRAR