C++ and Python package combined

Hi everyone,

I would like to package a piece of software that includes both a C++ library and a Python package. When building locally from scratch, one is supposed to

  * build and install the library first,
  (* then build and run the tests, compiling against what just has been installed,)
  * then build and install the Python package, compiling against what just has been installed.

If C++ library and Python packages came from two different sources, things would be easy. It's not clear to me though how to first install one part of a source, and then another against it. Perhaps there are example packages out there that do that already.

Any hints?

Cheers,
Nico