Re: compiled binary file in source package

On 10.02.2018 00:43, Ben Finney wrote:
> David Rabel <david.rabel@noresoft.com> writes:
>> On 09.02.2018 00:44, Ben Finney wrote:
>>> Is the compiled binary file generated entirely from sources that are
>>> all in the upstream source distribution?
>>
>> Yes, it's genereated from the sources. Allthough I cannot technically
>> verify that.
>
> That will be a necessary part of the Debian packaging work: you'll need
> to ensure the build process of the work from its source, in a way that
> others can also replicate from your packaging.
>
> In other words: When you omit the bundled file from the source package,
> and re-generate the equivalent from the source files, that will
> demonstrate whether or not there are significant differences in the
> original bundled file.

The binary in the source package does not equal the binary I generate
when building the package 'bit for bit'. Still I don't really think that
the upstream put any different binary inside the package. But since I
cannot verify it (or it's not worth the effort), I just want to delete
the binary.

>>> Is the compiled binary file needed at all — can it be removed without
>>> detriment for generating the Debian package from source?
>>
>> It can be removed, yes. It is recompiled during the build processs
>> anyways.
>
> Do you know that the file is re-compiled from entirely DFSG-compliant
> source?

Yes.

> If the answer is no, then (that part of) the work is not free software,
> so removing it would justify a ‘+dfsg.1’ suffix on the re-packed source.
>
> If the answer is yes, and there are no other DFSG problems, the
> re-packed source should probably get ‘+ds.1’ suffix.

Thanks. I will use +ds.1 then.

David