Re: compiled binary file in source package

David Rabel <david.rabel@noresoft.com> writes:

> I am maintaining jugglinglab. The upstream source package contains a
> compiled binary file. What is the cleanest solution to get rid of it?

Is the compiled binary file generated entirely from sources that are all
in the upstream source distribution?

Is the compiled binary file needed at all — can it be removed without
detriment for generating the Debian package from source?

> When I started packaging jugglinglab in 2016 I just deleted the file
> with a patch.
>
> This is unclean and for example sbuild refuses to build the package,
> because it does a dh_clean before which also deletes the binary and
> then complains that the patch cannot delete a file that isn't there.

Probably the best option is to re-pack the source to exclude that file
<URL:https://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/howto/repacking.html>.

--
 \       “Theology is the effort to explain the unknowable in terms of |
  `\                         the not worth knowing.” —Henry L. Mencken |