Multi-arch header conflict and pkg-config

Hi all,

I'm attempting to resolve a multi-arch conflict with a header file in a package
I'm working on.

The header was previously installed with other headers in /usr/include/<package>.
Due to the conflict, I've modified debian/rules to:
1. Override dh_auto_install,
2. Create a directory in debian/tmp/usr/include/<triplet>/<package>
    using mkdir -p; and
3. Move the conflicting header to the newly created directory using mv.

While these steps resolve the conflict, allowing the package to become
M-A: same, test programs no longer find the header in the triple include path.

pkg-config --cflags also just outputs -I/usr/include/<package>.

Does pkgconfig support multiple paths like this?
If so, how do I modify the pkg-config file to handle multiple /usr/include paths?

Any advice or package examples I could look at is appreciated.

--
Hugh McMaster