Replace cron with systemd timer unit?

Hi,

The tuptime package have a cron file in it and I am thinking on replace it with a systemd timer unit.

In the Debian Policy there are only references to cron, the same as in the Developers Reference Guide and Maintainer Guide.

I like some aspects of the .timer, but I don't know if the change is a good idea or not at this moment? There are any other package that has changed from cron to .timer? What is the official recomendation?

Thanks,