artifacts in upstream, re: pristine source

Greetings,

Apologies in advance, because I am sure that this has already been answered in the group or in a doc. I've spent a good bit of time googling/searching about this and couldn't find a definitive answer.

Regarding the "pristine source" requirement (i.e. no build artifacts) in the source archive: should the upstream tarball be imported to the upstream branch "as is", and the tar command for orig.tar.gz should be configured to omit build artifacts? Or should artifacts either be removed from or not imported to the upstream branch?

Thanks.

Brian T. Smith
System Fabric Works
Senior Technical Staff