Re: What option should I now use to do source only builds

Quoting Mattia Rizzolo (2017-03-18 08:53:21)
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 08:22:36AM +0100, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> > So just as with sbuild I don't see why anybody would want to *only* build the
> > source package inside a chroot. Since the source package is the *input* to the
> > whole operation, you would just get back what you already put in.
> The only gain would be in a situation where you can't run the clean target
> outside of the chroot, due to missing dependencies, so `dpkg-source -b .`
> will produce an "unclean" source.  After moving it inside a throw-away chroot
> with the build-deps installed you can call the clean rules, and produce the
> source again, which will be "cleaner" than the one produced outside.
> Personally I'd call this case quite borderline and unusual, especially in
> this world of git where the working directory is easily cleaned by a `git
> clean -fdx` et al.

how would the unpacked source directory become unclean if I'm using pbuilder or
sbuild to build my packages?

If I'm not mistaken that would only happen if I ever call some targets from
debian/rules outside the chroot and that again requires the build dependencies
to be installed at which point you can also run the clean target.

cheers, josch