Re: What option should I now use to do source only builds

Hi,

Quoting Andrey Rahmatullin (2017-03-18 07:58:56)
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 07:25:32AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > James Clarke wrote in https://bugs.debian.org/853886#10:
> > >
> > > "For source-only builds, I don't understand why you would want to
> > > perform the build in a chroot.
> >
> > Since Build-Depends are requested on my local machine anyway
> -nc is usually enough. And are you saying it was possible to build a source
> package in a chroot without already having a source package?

I am also highly confused by this thread. Maybe I'm misunderstanding pbuilder
(I'm just the sbuild maintainer) but isn't the source package the *input* to
pbuilder just as it is for sbuild? What sbuild does when you execute it on an
unpacked source directory, is to first build the source package which it then
hands to the chroot. I think pbuilder does the same, judging from this line:

http://sources.debian.net/src/pbuilder/0.228.6/pdebuild/?hl=91#L91

And I don't think what this has to do with build dependencies. You don't need
the build dependencies installed to build a source package. In your local
unpacked source tree, just run:

dpkg-source -b .

So just as with sbuild I don't see why anybody would want to *only* build the
source package inside a chroot. Since the source package is the *input* to the
whole operation, you would just get back what you already put in.

If you want to make a source-only upload, you should build everything in a
chroot and instruct pbuilder or sbuild to create a .changes file that only
includes the relevant source package bits and not the binary packages. This is
what you do with the --source-only-changes option for both sbuild and pbuilder.

Thanks!

cheers, josch