Re: Preference for build or debhelper installing systemd unit files?

J.T. Conklin:
> My question, in the case where the same organization/people are
> responsible for both the software and the debian packaging, is whether
> there is a preference of which method is used.
>
>     --jtc

Hi,

If you are (working on/with) upstream and doing the packaging, I believe
making the upstream build system install the systemd file correctly is
preferred.  The primary motivation being that the service file is then
also installed when:

 * packaging is done for another non-Debian-based distribution
   (possibly done by volunteers outside your organization).

 * an end users wants to compile from source (on a non-Debian-based
   system).

(The argument here is not limited to systemd service files as debhelper
have other tools with similar functionality)

Thanks,
~Niels