Preference for build or debhelper installing systemd unit files?

This question is related to components Dell EMC (my current employer)
are contributing to the Linux Foundation's openswitch project.

With debhelper, systemd unit files can be installed by a package's build
(ie. the Makefile installs them in $DESTDIR/lib/systemd/system/...) or
they can be put in the debian/<package>.service and dh_systemd_* will
copy them to the package.  In both cases, the dh_systemd_* scripts
ensure that the proper boilerplate to enable/disable the service is
added to the package's {post,pre}{inst,rm} scriptlets.

My question, in the case where the same organization/people are
responsible for both the software and the debian packaging, is whether
there is a preference of which method is used.

    --jtc