create Debian Source from GIT repository without tag

Hello Forum,

it appears that for one of my pacage, libgap-sage not to mention it [1],
the upstream source tarbal does not contain the required material to be not
rejected by ftpmaster [2]. So I am considering to create a Debian Source
from the GIT repository. Unfortunately, the GIT repository contains no tags,
so uscan(1) seems not be useful here. I have already submitted a ticket to
the upstream maintainer [3], but he seems to be very busy.
Meanwhile, I want to step forward.

What is the best way to create a Debian Source from the upstream GIT repository ?

Any hint and any (good) example is wellcome.

Thanks in advance,
Jerome

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=833406
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2016/08/msg00006.html