Re: Infrastructure Inquiry -- please advise

Hi Brian,

This question is not very suitable for the mentors list, this list is
intended for help with packaging and other developer-related issues.

On 04/14/2016 09:17 PM, Brian M Hamlin wrote:
> I am writing this email, not as a Debian Developer in-training, but instead asking advice from
> the Debian Project, on behalf of OSGeo.org -- a software foundation modeled on the Apache Foundation,
> for free and open geospatial software development.
>
> OSGeo.org Systems Administration (SAC) is building a new infrastructure for ** git repositories **..
> the Debian Project core is clearly experienced here, so I am writing to ask for advice and.or feedback
> on our own efforts. As with Apache Foundation and others, infrastructure is security-related,
> so experienced advice is very welcome.

I suspect the recent 'What would you want from an OSGeo Git Service ?'
[0] thread is the trigger for your question.

The experiences of the Alioth administrators [1] is probably what you're
looking for.

The Alioth administrators are very busy, so you may not get a reply from
them in the short term. Prodding an admin on #alioth may get you
feedback sooner.

The git infrastructure on Alioth uses pretty standard git components
like cgit, nothing fancy like gogs. The major benefit is its integration
with Fusion Forge, the software running on Alioth [2]. This takes care
of user/group and SSH key management. This is not very relevant for the
proposed git service for OSGeo.

Do you have specific questions for the Alioth admins?

[0] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2016-April/015890.html
[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Alioth
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/

Kind Regards,