Re: Packaging mmh (fork of nmh)

+++ Dmitry Bogatov [2016-04-10 08:34 +0300]:

> [CC nmh maintainer]
>
> Hello!
>
> I am packaging mmh (http://marmaro.de/prog/mmh), which is fork of
> nmh. Both of them are mail user agents.
>
> nmh installs it's binaries (~20) into /usr/bin/nmh. Now I try to
> do the same, and install mmh's binaries into /usr/bin/mmh, but
> Lintian complain about FHS violation. The only allowed
> subdir of /usr/bin is /usr/bin/mh.

So nmh is not following FHS either.

> Installing mmh into /usr/bin/mh would be impolite to `nmh', since
> `mh' is historical name, like `vi'.

Are nmh and mmh intended to be co-installable? I presume that you want
one or the other, so making them conflict like MTAs would make sense.

> So I consider using alternatives mechanism. Unfortunately,
> `mmh' and `nmh' are not totally equivalent -- mmh has lesser
> count of commands. I think about alternatives not for binaries,
> but for whole directories:
>
> /usr/bin/mh -> /usr/lib/nmh | /usr/lib/mmh
> /etc/mh     -> /etc/nmh | /etc/mmh
>
> Is it allowed? Is it good solution?

It seems sensible to me.

> And what to do with man pages?
> For example, both provides `scan(1)', but only `nmh' has `mhshow(1)'.

Well, if you only install one or the other this isn't a problem - they both just provide
a suitable set of manpages.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/