Packaging mmh (fork of nmh)

[CC nmh maintainer]

Hello!

I am packaging mmh (http://marmaro.de/prog/mmh), which is fork of
nmh. Both of them are mail user agents.

nmh installs it's binaries (~20) into /usr/bin/nmh. Now I try to
do the same, and install mmh's binaries into /usr/bin/mmh, but
Lintian complain about FHS violation. The only allowed
subdir of /usr/bin is /usr/bin/mh.

Installing mmh into /usr/bin/mh would be impolite to `nmh', since
`mh' is historical name, like `vi'.

So I consider using alternatives mechanism. Unfortunately,
`mmh' and `nmh' are not totally equivalent -- mmh has lesser
count of commands. I think about alternatives not for binaries,
but for whole directories:

/usr/bin/mh -> /usr/lib/nmh | /usr/lib/mmh
/etc/mh     -> /etc/nmh | /etc/mmh

Is it allowed? Is it good solution? And what to do with man pages?
For example, both provides `scan(1)', but only `nmh' has `mhshow(1)'.

--
Accept: text/plain, text/x-diff