Re: Request service reload after package install

On 2016-03-22 at 09:28, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:

> Hi, do the post* files in virtualbox-ext-pack package help? they have
> some user interaction, and restart of services IIRC.

Restarting services after package installation is relatively common, and
can be seen in the postinst files of many packages. The one which I most
often see, as a prompt with a list of services to be restarted, is
libc6.

However, as far as I'm aware, all of them have one flaw in common: if
you install multiple packages which require restart of the same service
(including, e.g., multiple architectures' versions of the same package;
this happens with libc6 on a multiarch system), the service will be
restarted multiple times - once per package. Giulio specifically cited
having only one service restart per "session" as one of his goals.

I don't know of any way to avoid or work around this multiple-restart
behavior which would be clean and robust enough to be worth
implementing, except for adding support for this sort of state handling
to the tools which do the installation - apt and dpkg, probably in an
interlocking way. Unfortunately, I don't know of a good design for this,
and I infer from the fact that it's never been done that no one else has
come up with one either.

--
   The Wanderer