Request service reload after package install

Hi to all,
  I am trying to package a software that is composed by a server and several optional plugins.

I would like to package the plugins independently.

The server needs to be restarted whenever it is updated or whenever a plugin is updated/installed/uninstalled.

However I do not know how to do it properly. Is there anybody that can point me to relevant documentatiin/examples?

What I want to achieve is:
1) the restart should be done only if the server is running;
2) the restart is done only if user agree with it;
3) only one restart is done when updating/installing/uninstalling packages.

Thank you for your help.

Bests,
Giulio