Start to help with a RFA package (or else)

Hello,

I'm Vincent Carluer, a senior dev but a newbie with Debian dev/packaging.
But I really want to contribute to this great project !

It does not seems really easy to start with it but I think I have found a package which seems not to big, can be fun for me to maintain and which suits my skills.
It is xmacro: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=832150

Before responding to this RFA I would like some advice if it is a good way to start helping or am I out of process?
Do you have any other advice for something like me, I already have read a lot of doc but I am quite lost for now, without any contact to help except this mail lists (maybe it would be good to go on irc?).

Thank you.