Re: remove a git repository

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 10:32:28AM -0200, Herbert Fortes wrote:
> I did a mess on gthumb repository and I tried to
> fix it. What I want to do is a kind  of roll back
> because I jumped one Debian revision.
>
> Before start the fix process I did a backup. :)
> BACKUP_gthumb.git[0] and gthumb.git[1] but I can
> not use it. I do not have the rights to re-write
> the gthumb.git.

If you have the rights to delete a branch, push -f can be simulated with a
delete + push.  Whether this is the right thing to do is another matter.

> What do I do ?

Generally, git repositories shouldn't ever be force-pushed if there's a
non-negligible likelihood of someone having pulled from your branch, which
usually translates to public-vs-private repositories.

However, in this case it's probably just you using that repository for now,
so force-pushing might be reasonable if the alternative is broken history.

> If I should leave the way it is now, how to remove the backup ?

I don't know; I'd recommend using branches for backups in the future -- they
take nearly no space (as opposed to two full copies of the repository),
allow easy cherry-picks and rebases, etc.

Meow!
--
A true bird-watcher waves his tail while doing so.