Re: Scala 2.10

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:39 PM, Gianfranco Costamagna
<locutusofborg@debian.org> wrote:
>>I'm not in the Java packaging community, but from a little searching
>>.m2 appears to be created by the Maven build system, and I know for
>>sure there is software packaged in Debian that uses Maven, so maybe
>
>>you'd want to take a look at those packages how they do their build.
>
> I'm far from being a java expert, but IIRC maven tries to download from
> internet or create such directories when a dependency is not available.
>
> Solution: package it, and add it to control file, and try again.

For Marko's purposes, which IIRC, are to create a non-free package to
avoid the circular dependency scala has upon itself, packaging all of
the build dependencies isn't strictly necessary.  However, the source
package must contain all of the bits required to build the desired
binary package(s), either as dependencies on other Debian packages or
(and only for a non-free package) as JAR files included with the
source package.

As Christian points out, Maven will happily attempt to download
dependencies.  For a non-free Java package, those Maven Central
dependencies need to be available on the local file system and all
references to them updated to use <system> scope and the path where
they can be found.  (There might be an easier way to accomplish this,
but this is the one I'm familiar with.)

Cheers,
tony