Re: Data updates in debian packages

Ben Finney <bignose@debian.org> writes:
> Ole Streicher <olebole@debian.org> writes:
>> How sure can one be that they will be installed in-time?
>
> This confuses me too. If the file is installed, you have the
> leap-seconds data for the installed version of ‘tzdata’.
>
> So I think I don't understand. What specific concern do you have about
> the leap seconds data from the ‘tzdata’ package?

The canonical source for leap seconds is the IERS. Our current plan was
to take the leap second list from there and build our package from this
(as it is done in the casacore-data upstream). This guaranteed that we
always have the actual definition (... as long as we do our updated
package ASAP).

When we switch that to tzdata, then we get the leap second from a place
that is not strictly the original source, but may have some delay: first
the tzdata upstream package needs to be updated, and then it needs to be
packaged (... and possibly backported).

So my question is: how safe is it to assum that this whole process is
quick (let's say: a few weeks)? If someone works later on Stretch and
has an outdated leap second, this could cause problems. Especially if he
has no direct information about the actuality of the leap second
definition (which he would have in the case of an leap second package
taking the value directly from IERS -- we could use the date of the
announcement as version number there).

Best regards

Ole