Re: uscan for a single text file

On Saturday, July 16 2016, Ole Streicher wrote:

> Sergio Durigan Junior <sergiodj@sergiodj.net> writes:
>>> What is wrong here? I thought that mk-orig.tar.gz should be called only
>>> when it is a tar archive?
>>
>> Yeah, uscan is the responsible for invoking mk-origtargz.  That can be a
>> problem indeed for cases like yours.
>
> Hmm, the manpage of uscan says:
>
> | Please note the repacking of the upstream tarballs by mk-origtargz
> | happens only if one of the following conditions is satisfied:
> |  · USCAN_REPACK is set in the devscript configuration.
> |  · --repack is set on the commandline.
> |  · repack is set in the watch line as opts="repack,...".
> |  · The upstream archive is of zip type including jar, xpi, ...
> |  · Files-Excluded or Files-Excluded-component stanzas are set in
> |    debian/copyright to make mk-origtargz invoked from uscan remove
> |    files from the upstream tarball and repack it.
>
> Non of these is true in my case. So, isn't this a bug in uscan?

This snippet refers to the repacking of the upstream tarball.  Even when
no repacking is needed/requested, mk-origtargz is still invoked (it is
resposible for creating the symlink to the .orig.tar.gz file, for
example).

>> Here's a hacky solution.  First, in order to avoid calling mk-origtargz
>> you need to pass the --no-symlink option to uscan (or set the
>> USCAN_SYMLINK environment variable to "no").  That is unfortunately the
>> only way, and there is also no opts available that you can use inside
>> the watch file.
>
> wouldn't it be worth to add an option to uscan "opts=norepack"?

Not necessarily 'norepack', because of what I explained above.  But
yeah, as I mentioned to Gianfranco I also think it is worth adding an
option to disable the execution of mk-origtargz.  I went ahead and
submitted the following:

  <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=831521>

>> Also, I found a few problems with your repackaging script.  uupdate will
>> expect a certain pattern when decompressing it, like a directory named
>> package-version/, so you need to create that as well.  Attached on this
>> message is an updated script that seems to work (as far as I have
>> tested; I don't have the full package here).
>
> Yea, mine was a quick hack. In principle, I don't see a reason for this
> at all. Usually, the package is just downloaded and then processed
> further by other tools (gbp import-orig) or untarred manually.

Yeah, it is curious that mk-origtargz and uupdate both create the same
symlink from the original tarball to the .orig tarball.

Cheers,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36