Re: dpkg-checkbuilddeps and apt-get at odds over libacl1-dev

Hi,

Christian Seiler wrote:
> You are using an older version of lintian (probably the one from Jessie).

It is what apt-get "update" and "dist-upgrade" gave me on Sid.
It was downloaded during "dist-upgrade":

  Get:611 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable/main amd64 lintian all 2.5.45 [1,036 kB]

No messages about "Unpacking" or "Setting up" of lintian are to see, though.

I meanwhile learned that i discussed this with my sponsor Dominique Dumont
in february when i bumped to 3.9.7. Since 3.9.7 was new then, we expected
lintian to change its expectations soon after.

> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/debian-policy

Yep. That's the address i got from Dominique, together with
  https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/upgrading-checklist.txt
which tells me that i can safely claim to comply to 3.9.8.

> proper error messages from the lintian version of the release I
> am building against.

I intend to build for Sid on a Sid qemu-system-x86_64 VM (hosted by Jessie).
That's why i wonder why lintian still expects 3.9.6.

Trying to apply what i learned today:

 # dpkg -l lintian
 ||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
 +++-==============-============-============-=================================
 ii  lintian        2.5.40.2     all          Debian package checker

But dpkg --configure --pending does not do anything.
So i try

 # apt-get install lintian
 Preparing to unpack .../lintian_2.5.45_all.deb ...
 Unpacking lintian (2.5.45) over (2.5.40.2) ...
 Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) ...
 Setting up lintian (2.5.45) ...

 Configuration file '/etc/lintianrc'
 *** lintianrc (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? n

The output of dpkg -l did not change much

 # dpkg -l lintian
 ||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
 ii  lintian        2.5.45       all          Debian package checker

But nevertheless now debuild -S does not complain about the freshly
changed  "Standards-Version: 3.9.8"  as it did before i installed
lintian manually.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas