Skylake, how to get rid of nomodeset

Hi there,

I have installed Jessie (with kernel 4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64)
on a Thinkpad X1 4th generation (intel Skylake i7-6600U), as I
documented in details here:
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Thinkpad/X1%20Carbon%204thGen
%20PCIe_SSD/jessie

I am stuck with a problem with the graphics: all I can do is to set
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nomodeset", but then the external
screen does not work. Also, I can't change the screen brightness and the
resolution is too high (see page above for details). I noticed that
everything works fine with Fedora 24, so it seems that the solutions
must be already in the open domain.

As I am not an expert, I thought asking for help. Thanks a lot in
advance!

Luke