Re: Best practise for a drop-in replacement of a non-free package

Hi Paul,

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
> On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 8:29 PM, Ole Streicher wrote:
>> I intend to package the "giza" library [1] that is largely a replacement
>> of the pgplot library that is in Debian non-free.
>
> Does that mean that pgplot5 can be removed from Debian and the reverse
> dependencies transitioned to giza and moved to Debian main? I would
> suggest that is the best way to go if it is possible.

Giza has still some functions unimplemented [1], and I have no
experiences with it: neither with the library itself, nor with
upstream. Therefore, I would leave this decision to the individual
package maintainers -- once Giza is in, you may write wishlist bugs for
them if you like :-)

My question is more the first step , which includes giza as a library
with the /potential/ to replace pgplot, but without a strong
recommendation.

Best regards

Ole

[1] http://giza.sourceforge.net/documentation/pgplot.shtml