request more advice: lintian warnings and python-tldp + ldp-docbook-stylesheets

Hello,

A week ago, I asked for a bit of orientation advice since I have
needed improvements for the ldp-docbook-stylesheets.  With
Gianfranco's advice (thank you, again), I am launched.  Since then,
I have:

  * played with the existing packaging for ldp-docbook-stylesheets

  * learned the basics of Debian packaging (and packaging Python
    modules for Debian)

  * created a branch of TLDP's python-tldp package with my first
    effort at Debianizing a package (seems to build fine, see
    lintian questions below)

I would like to get both my new package (python3-tldp) and a revised
ldp-docbook-stylesheets on the conveyor belt into the Debian
universe.

After trying to understand the flow of work and the current status
with these two packages, I have come up with the following plan.

For python-tldp (source) which creates python3-tldp (binary):

  1. I file an ITP for python3-tldp (#822181) [0].
  2. I follow the process and, eventually, file an RFS.

For ldp-docbook-stylesheets:

  -2. If somebody can tell me that I did an acceptable job on
      creating the package for python3-tldp, I plan ....

  -1. Since all of the former contributors of the DSSSL and XSL are
      gone, and the only sources I can find are tarballs (including
      the one in the Debian project).

  0. I propose to  declare ldp-docbook-stylesheets dead, and ...

  1. Create a native package of ldp-docbook-stylesheets hosted
     by TLDP.

  2. Provide a fully-Debianized native source of the
     ldp-docbook-stylesheets (with required bugfixes and required
     new stylesheets to support Docbook 5.x).

That's my plan.

So, that brings me to my lintian question(s).  After working through
my first Debian package and addressing all of the lintian errors and
warnings, I am left, however, with these two (Debian jessie):

  W: python3-tldp source: newer-standards-version 3.9.8 (current is 3.9.6)
  W: python3-tldp source: debian-watch-file-in-native-package

I presume that the first lintian warning is simply because my
lintian doesn't know that the policy has been updated.

The second one is a bit confusing to me, most likely because I do
not understand how the watch file is used.  Could somebody explain
why lintian does not like my watch file?

I'd gladly take direction for how to proceed and any pointers on any
of my thoughts.  Hopefully, I have not gotten the process too wrong.

Best regards,

-Martin

 [0] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=822181

--