Re: Please help creating shared *and* static library with cmake

On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 05:53:48PM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
> Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> writes:
> > I need to package libsdsl[1] as some precondition for a Debian Med
> > package.  The default cmake build only creates a static library and I
> > found a patch to create a shared library.  But since library packages
> > should include both I wonder how to get both shared and static library
> > without doing to much tricky things.
>
> For the common case, I see no real reason to include both; having just
> the dynamic libs and the header is enough, IMO.

Policy says[1]:

   The static library (libraryname.a) is usually provided in addition to
   the shared version.

I have no good reason to derive from this.

> The only use case I could imagine is to create an executable that can
> run outside of Debian.

That's a valid use case for consumer of the lib*-dev package.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html#s-sharedlibs-static

--