Re: Package libburn-1.4.2.pl01.tar.gz as 1.4.2-2 or as 1.4.2.pl01-1 ?

Hi

>[Changing hats.]

>I am the upstream myself. .pl01 is tradition. What's wrong with it ?
>[Changing hats again.]
>
>(Upstream is not unteachable. Just would need to be convinced.)

well, it is a little bit unusual to have versioning with letters and not only
numbers...

I would expect the watchfile regex to be more complicated.

Anyway, if you like it, you can keep it :)
>Rather in contrary.
>Upstream libburn-*.gz contains code for libburn.so and for the
>executable binary /usr/bin/cdrskin, which offers a CLI roughly
>compatible to wodim and cdrecord. It uses libburn.so to operate
>an optical drive.
>
>The bug is in the code of cdrskin, outside of libburn.so.

ok

>So technically, the binary packages libburn4, libburn-dbg, libburn-dev,
>and libburn-doc do not need to be changed. But they are all derived
>together with cdrskin from
>  https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/libburn

well, who cares? you need a sourceful upload, so you will have to rebuild
all of them :)

>The last (inadverted) wreakage of ABI was in february 2007.
>I got the SONAME numbering right not before january 2008.
>Since then i broke many things, but neither API nor ABI.

wonderful!

>  $ dpkg --compare-versions 1.4.2.pl01-1 gt 1.4.2-1 && echo yes
>  yes
>  $ dpkg --compare-versions 1.4.2.pl01-1 lt 1.4.4-1 && echo yes
>  yes
>  $

two version can't be at the same time lower and higher :)

I would do something like that:
dpkg --compare-versions 1.4.2.pl01-1 gt 1.4.2-1 ; echo $?

0
dpkg --compare-versions 1.4.2.pl01-1 lt 1.4.2-1 ; echo $?

1
>So it would fit between the current package and the first one
>of the future upstream release libburn-1.4.4. (1.4.3 is for
>development between releases.)

ok, wonderful

>I am waiting for the new upstream tarball to be recognized by
>uscan and reported to the package tracker. Hopefully it will be
>found until tomorrow evening CET.

it is reconized as soon as published (uscan locally just does a wget and looks for
versions to parse)
if a local uscan --debug doesn't work it probably means your versioning scheme
needs some adapting of the watch file.

>If no objections arise until then, i will go for 1.4.2.pl01-1
>from upstream tarball libburn-1.4.2.pl01.tar.gz.

you are the maintainer and upstream, it is up to you :D

>Have a nice day :)

cheers!

Gianfranco