Re: Questions before my first upload attempt

On 2015-08-23 12:48, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Thomas,

> i worked a bit more on my local libburn package.
>
> [...]
>
> The failure of debuild -b with compat 9 still riddles me.
>
> With 9 it finally complains
>
>   dh_install: libburn4 missing files (debian/tmp/usr/lib/libburn.so.4*), aborting
>
> It seems to have outsmarted itself by previous
>
>   ./configure ... --libdir=\${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu ...
>
> With 8, the configure option --libdir is not used.
>
> After debuild -b with compat 9 i have:
>
>   $ ls debian/tmp/usr/lib
>   x86_64-linux-gnu
>   $ ls debian/tmp/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
>   libburn.a  libburn.la  libburn.so  libburn.so.4  libburn.so.4.93.0  pkgconfig

Yes, this is caused by bumping to compat 9.  Please have a look at:
  "man 7 debhelper"

Which (among other things) will list:

"""
COMPATIBILITY LEVELS

[...]

       v9  This is the recommended mode of operation.

           Changes from v8 are:

           -       Multiarch support. In particular, dh_auto_configure
                   passes multiarch directories to autoconf in --libdir
                   and --libexecdir.
"""

If your package is simple, you can use:

  usr/lib/*/<file>

instead of

  usr/lib/<file>

Alternatively, please consider using dh-exec.  This requires three steps:

  Add dh-exec to Build-Depends
  Insert "#!/usr/bin/dh-exec" in the top of debian/<package>.install
  chmod a+x debian/<package>.install

Note this only works in compat 9 and later

Thanks,
~Niels