Re: Best practices for downloader packages

Le Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 03:47:13PM +0200, Ole Streicher a écrit :

> After lunch, someone pointed out that the policy only requires that
> packages that download *software* need to go to contrib. Since my one
> would download *data* only, it would be probably suitable for main.

Hi Ole,

I doubt that the intention of the policy is to distinguish data and software
here.  Also, the current interpretation of the DFSG is that data is software.

Altogether, in the case of your package, I think that it is a matter of taste.
In my point of view, there is nothing wrong putting it in contrib, to represent
that the access to the data is not as easy as if it were distributed inside the
package.  One of the points of Free software is that is can not be taken away
from the user, and if one has a full copy of the Debian archive, it is possible
to rely on all the programs and data in the main section.  For downloader
packages, however, they can become useless at any time, and the user has no
control over this.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy