Re: Best practices for downloader packages

* Ole Streicher <olebole@debian.org>, 2015-08-16, 19:17:
* Shall it be native? There is no "local" upstream code, so the directory is just empty (except the debian/ subdir). However, "native" may not the best mark to it, since the package ist not really a debian-only one (the data may be used elsewhere as well).

My feeling is that if there's no upstream code, then the package should be native.

Does upstream make formal versioned releases? That could maybe justify non-native version.

However, when it is not native, I must create a dummy/empty .orig.tar.gz, right?

Right.

* Shall I use the word "downloader" in the package name?

IMO, yes, the package name should reflect the that this is only a downloader.

* Do I need to specify the copyright of the *downloaded* files?

Yes, that would be nice.

If yes, where?

Copyright file seems like a natural place to put this information.

debian/copyright is just for the source, not for the result...

Policy §12.5 says: “Packages in the _contrib_ or _non-free_ archive areas should state in the copyright file that the package is not part of the Debian distribution and briefly explain why.”

Upstream license could be the part of this brief explanation.

* Since the download code if DFSG-Free, the downloader goes to contrib, independently of the copyright of the data, right?

Right.

--
Jakub Wilk