Re: Introduce wrapper package of linuxbrew into Debian

Hi Lumin,

>I didn't mean "overriding the env is bad". I mean:
>-> can we directly add ENVs for users?
>  -> how about doing this in wrapper script:
>     sed -i -e "$a\$(cat /usr/share/.../example/profile)" .bashrc
>   -> very bad.
>Then can ENVs be handled automatically?
>
>Then there are 2 things to convey to linuxbrew-wrapper users:
>
>* linuxbrew packaging bug is not debian bug but upstream bug,
>   report linuxbrew bug at upstream github.
>
>* there's a example profile located at
>     /usr/share/doc/linuxbrew-wrapper/examples/profile
>   and one can simply source it in bashrc/zshrc for the basic
>   linuxbrew utilization. If user installed some libs with
>   linuxbrew, he/she needs to handle BREW_LIB BREW_INCLUDE
>   LD_LIBRARY_PATH ...etc ENVs.

actually I understood this correctly...

well there is an etc/profile.d for this purpose I guess

>And I'm going to state them
>
>* before invoking upstream install script
>* in the manpage which is to be added.
>
>Is there better way to tell the 2 points to users ?
>
>* postinst ? *.News ?

Don't know... maybe it is not even needed, a manpage might be enough

>LD_LIBRARY_PATH / RPATH:
>IMHO LD_LIBRARY_PATH is better, since rpath is a problem
>on Debian packaging and RPATH info is embedded into ELFs.

sure, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is also better if you want to change the
library location (I personally use RPATH, but they are fine both)

>I think so. however
>currently this package is not ready to get public attention.
>At lease I need to compose a manpage to state the main idea
>of this package.

sure

cheers,
Gianfranco