Re: Introduce wrapper package of linuxbrew into Debian

Hi Lumin

>Such "packaging bug" is upstream bug, and is handled by Homebrew
>and Linuxbrew upstream. And files made that trouble was not provided
>by Debian package ......

yes, exactly the point I had, so somewhere the user should be aware that reporting
the bug on Debian Bug Tracking System is *wrong*.
>After the Linuxbrew maintainer updated linuxbrew or fixed bugs
>of linuxbrew, users run brew update to trigger git to pull
>updated contents.

sure
>Well, here is an example which installs openssl with linuxbrew:

>We can confirm that GCC and LD with default configuration
>will never grab user's home for headers and libs except specified.

yes, sure :)

>Hence in order to "make build system aware of x location",>we must pass -I -L -l arguments to compilers.

that was my point

>Please take a look at this example profile added several minutes ago:
>http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/cdluminate-guest/linuxbrew-wrapper.git/tree/debian/example/profile
>This is my idea for handling that issue.

and here we are:
how do you say that to the user?
You say overriding the env is bad, but you didn't provide (AFAICS) a good way for letting
the user know about the profile

>For example if I want to compile a small program [1], which
>should be linked with brew-installed openssl:

this is fine, as long as you set RPATH on the linuxbrew packages, or you
LD preload in some way the binary at each run

Note: I didn't run the code, because I think some discussion is needed, at least on debian-devel to see
other folks's opinions.

I know very well the subject, and actually I did something brew similar in my work company, to keep our
installing them in a private location, to avoid messing up with users systems and messing up with different versions

of our libraries (a customer might do not want to rebuild against a new library version, if the old one
fits the needs for him).

The problem here is that using non-standard locations is source of troubles, but I see you/brew fixed them
in the proper way (at least the same way I fixed them in my workplace).

If other DDs gives an ack I'll be happy to finish my review :)

cheers,

Gianfranco